Sausage And Lentil Tray Bake
Who doesn’t love a one-pan meal!
In this nourishing, balanced meal, you’ll get a serve of protein, veggies, and whole grains. Lentils are a fantastic source of low GI fibre, plant-based iron and protein, and B-vitamins like folate.
Whip up this hearty-winter meal in less than 30 minutes. The perfect mid-week family dinner.
- 500g Italian sausages or a pork and fennel variety
- 2 capsicums, sliced
- 1 brown onion, roughly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tin brown lentils
- 3/4 cup pearl couscous
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- In a large roasting pan brown off sausages in some olive oil. About 2 minutes on all sides. You don’t want to cook these through as they’ll continue to cook in the oven later on. Once seared, remove sausages, and set aside to rest.
- To the same pan add a little more oil then fry off the onion, capsicum, and garlic for a minute or two.
- Add in tomato paste, bay leaf, lentils and couscous. Top with stock, season and stir together.
- Add the sausages back in, sitting them on top of the lentil mixture.
- Place pan in 200C preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has almost fully reduced.
Kristen Djermanovic (nee Papathanasiou) is our Accredited Practising Dietitian, Accredited Sports Dietitian and an Approved Eating Disorder Practitioner.