Due to the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, our GLAD program for knee and/or hip osteoarthritis is been suspended until further notice.
We will continue to take expressions of interest and those who register will be advised when the program is able to return.
We’re now offering the GLA:D program - A great first line evidence based treatment for knee and/or hip osteoarthritis.
What is GLA:D?
GLA:D®, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
A Physiotherapist, trained in the provision of this service, will help you with daily activities. You will work on strengthening your body, as well as learning to move correctly and manage symptoms to improve pain.
This education and exercise program reflects the latest evidence in osteoarthritis (OA) research. It also includes feedback from people with OA and trainers on what works in the real world to help patients manage OA symptoms.
The program can delay or prevent surgical intervention, and help you with long term favourable outcomes in both pain and function.
What does it involve?
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability.
- Two education sessions* which teach you about OA, how the GLA:D™ Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program.
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life.
*In addition to the standard program offering, one of the education sessions we provide will include OA specific information from our Accredited Dietitian. As one of the common issues for those with OA of the hip and/or knee is being overweight, the inclusion of our Dietitian in the program will be of will provide you with additional benefits.
- Alphington Exercise + Rehabilitation Centre: 376 Heidelberg Road, Fairfield.
- Initial appointments will be booked individually.
- Education Sessions: 1-2pm on Wednesdays.
- Training Sessions (classes): 1-2pm Mondays and Thursdays.
After hours times can be organised, depending on demand.
$600 per person for the complete program.
Please Note: The program is run in groups of 6.
For more information about the program you can download our GLA:D Fact Sheet.
If you have any further questions or would like to book for this service with us, please call 9482 5211.