We are involved in research with the aim to remain at the cutting edge of our health services.
Our practitioners have been / are involved in research investigating topics such as:
- Ankle, Back, Knee, Shin, Hip, Gluteal, Shoulder, Tendon & Head pain / injuries
- Basketball, Football, Dance, Soccer, Cricket & Netball Injuries
- Exercise & Injury Prevention
- Sports Nutrition
- Petersen AC, Murphy KT, Snow RJ, Leppik JA, Aughey RJ, Garnham AP, Cameron-Smith D, McKenna MJ. Depressed Na+,K+-ATPase activity in skeletal muscle at fatigue is correlated with increased Na+,K+-ATPase mRNA expression following intense exercise. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2005 Mar 24;
- Watt KK, Garnham AP, Snow RJ. Skeletal muscle total creatine content and creatine transporter gene expression in vegetarians prior to and following creatine supplementation. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2004 Oct;14(5):517-31
- Watt MJ, Steinberg GR, Chan S, Garnham A, Kemp BE, Febbraio MA. Beta-adrenergic stimulation of skeletal muscle HSL can be overridden by AMPK signaling. The FASEB Journal. 2004 Sep;18(12):1445-6
- Aughey RJ, Gore CJ, Hahn AG, Garnham AP, Clark SA, Petersen AC, Roberts AD, McKenna MJ. Chronic intermittent hypoxia and incremental cycling exercise independently depress muscle in-vitro maximal Na+,K+ATPase activity in well-trained athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2004 Mar 19
- Murphy KT, Snow RJ, Petersen AC, Murphy RM, Mollica J, Lee JS, Garnham AP, Aughey RJ, Leppik JA, Medved I, Cameron-Smith D, McKenna MJ. Intense exercise up-regulates Na+,K+-ATPase isoform mRNA, but not protein expression in human skeletal muscle. Journal of Physiology 2004 Apr 15;556(Pt 2):507-19
- Baldwin J, Snow RJ, Gibala MJ, Garnham A, Howarth K, Febbraio MA. Glycogen availability does not affect the TCA cycle or TAN pools during prolonged, fatiguing exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology 94:2181-7, 2003
- Russell P, Wadley G, Hesselink C, Schaart G, Lo S, Leger B, Garnham A, Kornips E, Cameron-Smith D, Giacobino JP, Muzzin P, Snow R, Schrauwen P. UCP3 protein expression is lower in type I, IIa and IIx muscle fiber types of endurance-trained compared to untrained subjects. Pflugers Archives, 445:563-9, 2003
- Newman JE, Hargreaves M, Garnham A, Snow RJ. Effect of creatine ingestion on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in men. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 35:69-74, 2003
- Finch C, Donohue S, Garnham A, Seward H. The playing habits and other commitments of elite junior Australian football players. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 5:266-73, 2002
- Eime RM, Finch CF, Sherman CA, Garnham AP. Are squash players protecting their eyes. Injury Prevention. 8:239-41, 2002
- Finch C, Donohue S, Garnham A. Safety attitudes and beliefs of junior Australian football players. Injury Prevention, 8:151-4, 2002
- Russell A., Wadley G, Snow R., Giacobino J.P., Muzzin P., Garnham A., Cameron-Smith D. Slow component of VO2 kinetics: the effect of training status, fibre type, UCP3 mRNA and citrate synthase activity. International Journal of Obesity 26, 157-164, 2002
- Walsh RC, Koukoulas I, Garnham A, Moseley PL, Hargreaves M, Febbraio. Exercise increases serum Hsp72 in humans. Cell Stress Chaperones, 6:386-93,2001
- Gore C.J., Hahn A.G., Aughey R.J., Martin D.T., Ashenden M.J., Clark S.A., Garnham A.P., Roberts A.D., Slater G.J. and McKenna M.J. Live high: train low increases muscle buffer capacity and submaximal cycling efficiency. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. 173 : 275-286, 2001
- Saunders P.U., Watt M.J., Garnham A.P., Spriet L.L., Hargreaves M., and Febbraio M.A. No effect of heat stress on the regulation of carbohydrate metabolism at the onset of exercise. J. Appl. Physiol. 91: 2282-2288, 2001.
- Arkinstall MJ, Bruce CR, Nikolopoulos V, Garnham AP, Hawley JA. Effect of carbohydrate ingestion on metabolism during running and cycling. Journal of Applied Physiology, 91:2125-34, 2001
- Anderson M.J., Cotter J.D., Garnham A.P., Casley D.J., and Febbaio M.A. Effect of glycerol induced hyperhydration on thermoregulation and metabolism during exercise in the heat. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 11: 315-333, 2001
- Finch C, Little C, Garnham A. Quality of life improvements after sports injuries. Injury Control and Safety Promotion. 8: 113-116, 2001
- Febbraio M.A., Keenan J., Angus D.J., Campbell S.E., and Garnham A.P. Pre-exercise carbohydrate ingestion, glucose kinetics and muscle glycogen use: effect of glycemic index. Journal of Applied Physiology 89: 1845-1851, 2000
- Watt, M.J., A.P. Garnham, M.A. Febbraio and M. Hargreaves. Effect of acute plasma volume expansion on thermoregulation and exercise performance in the heat. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 32: 958-962, 2000.
- Watt MJ, Febbraio MA, Garnham AP, Hargreaves M. Acute plasma volume expansion: effect on metabolism during submaximal exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, 87:1202-6, 1999
Review articles and chapters in books
- Garnham A.P. Pharmacological agents in sport and exercise. In “Physical Therapies in Sport and Exercise” Eds. Kolt G.S. and Snyder-Mackler L.Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh. 2003
- Garnham A., Finch C, Salmon J. An Overview of the Epidemiology of Aerobics Injuries International SportMed Journal, 2(2), 2001
- Garnham A.P., Injuries to the head, Eye and Ear. In “Science and Medicine in Sport”. Eds. J.Bloomfield, P.A. Fricker and K.D. Fitch. Blackwell Science, Melbourne. Second edition 1995, First edition 1992.
- Bolzonello D, McKay G. (2016) Better Health Channel: Shoulder Injuries
- Milne C, Harcourt P, Bolzonello D. Sports and exercise physicians as medical assessors. Br J Sports Med 2013;47:715-717
Chapters in books
- Bolzonello, D. Sports Medicine. The Role of Exercise in Preventative Medicine. In “Medicina Preventiva. Come Ridurre L’Onere Della Malattia. (Preventative Medicine. Reducing the Burden of Disease).” Eds Mariani A.F. (Bilingual Publication).
- Bolzonello D, McKay G. (2016) Better Health Channel: Shoulder Injuries
- McKay, G.D., Goldie, P.A., Payne, W.R., Oakes, B.W. (2001) Ankle injuries in basketball: injury rate and risk factors. British Journal of Sports Medicine 35:103-108
- McKay, G.D., Goldie, P.A ., Payne, W.R., Oakes, B.W., Watson, L.F. (2001) A prospective study of injuries in basketball: a total profile and comparison by gender and standard of competition. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- McKay, G.D., Payne, W.R., Oakes, B.W., Goldie, P.A., Stanley, J.J. (1996) A comparison of the injuries sustained by female basketball and netball players. The Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 28(1):12-17.
Chapters in books
- McKay, G.D., Cook, J.L. (2010) Epidemiology of Injury in Olympic Sports: Chapter 6 Basketball pp78-91 Eds Caine Harmer & Schiff. Wiley Blackwell
Remedios, L., Moore, S. & McGinley, J. (2018) Fully online higher degrees: the NEXT step towards competency milestones in the physiotherapy career pathway? Conference proceedings free paper: The NEXT APA Conference, Hobart.
Moore, S. & McGuigan, P. (2016) Functional wavelet resolution of the sEMG frequency spectrum to represent high and low frequency motor unit recruitment in human lower limb muscles. Conference proceedings free paper: Australian Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport, Melbourne.
Moore, S., Thompson, T., & McGuigan M.P. (2012) Effect of 5 minutes cold water immersion, warm water immersion and rest on circulating, functional and perceived indices of athlete recovery. Conference proceedings free paper: Australian Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport, Sydney.
Moore, S., Thompson, T., & McGuigan M. P. (2012) Water immersion recovery practice in high performance athletes: current practice and the rationale. Conference proceedings free paper: Australian Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport, Sydney.
Moore, S. (2008) Embedding the International Federation of Sports Physiotherapy (IFSP) Competencies and Standards within Sports Physiotherapy Masters education. Conference proceedings: 2nd European Congress on Physiotherapy Education, Stockholm.
Moore, S. & Bilham, T. (2008) Sports Physiotherapy: blending online and practice-based education in an innovative postgraduate distance learning programme. Conference proceedings: 2nd European Congress on Physiotherapy Education, Stockholm.
- Bergeron, M., Duncan, M. J, & West, L. R., (2019). Focus on the “E” in SEM. Sports Medicine Australia Invites you to the Sunshine Coast on 23-26 October 2019. Warm Up. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 53, (8) 457-458 http://bit.ly/2Pm0zng
- West, L. R., Pham, J. (2018). Unapologetically patriotic – SMA shines the BJSM spotlight on Australian Research. Warm Up. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 52, (5) 283 http://bit.ly/2HMmVsP
- West, L. R., Griffin, S., Weiler, R., Win, K., & Ahmed, O. H. (2017). Under utilisation of concussion assessment tools by sports clinicians working in cerebral palsy football. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 20(3), 32. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2017.09.255
- Nambiar, M., West, L. R., & Bingham, R. (2017). AO Surgery Reference: a comprehensive guide for management of fractures. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 51, 545-546 http://bit.ly/2vke9Ml
- Griffin, S., West, L.R., Ahmed, O.H., & Weiler, R. (2017). Concussion knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs amongst sports medicine personnel at the 2015 cerebral palsy football world championships, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 51:325. http://bit.ly/2v9pvn0
- West, L.R., Griffin, S., Weiler, R., & Ahmed, O. H. (2017). Management of concussion in disability sport: a different ball game? British Journal of Sports Medicine, 51, 1050-1051 http://bit.ly/2vYJhTm
- West, L. R., & Griffin, S. (2016). Sport and exercise medicine in the UK: what juniors should know to get ahead. British Journal of Sports Medicine, bjsports-2016-096631 Published Online First: 8 October 2016 http://bit.ly/2wsIbSP
- West, L. R. (2015). Strava: challenge yourself to greater heights in physical activity/cycling and running. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 49, 1024 http://bit.ly/2g0JMsc
- West, L. R., Malliaropoulos, N., & De Jonge, S. (2014). ECOSEP: Bringing the European SEM family together. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48, 1585 http://bit.ly/2x7JZhf
- Haswell, O., West, L. R., Savill, B., Whitham, R., & Martin, R. (2014). The effect of British summer time on outdoor physical activity. The Lancet, Meeting Abstracts, Volume 384, S35 http://bit.ly/2x89dMC
- Fortes, M. B., Di Felice, U., Dolci, A., Junglee N. A., Crockford, M. J., West, L. R., Hillier-Smith, R., Macdonald, J. H. and Walsh, P. (2013). Muscle damaging exercise increases heat strain during subsequent exercise heat stress. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 45(10), 1915-24 http://bit.ly/2xn8wyj
- West, L. R. (2013). Sport and exercise medicine in the undergraduate curriculum. Are we inspiring the next generation of sport and exercise medicine doctors and helping them overcome the barriers they face getting into the specialty? British Journal of Sports Medicine, 47(11), 664-5 http://bit.ly/2vTqZ7w
Chapters in books
- Chapter 47 – Working and Travelling with Teams. In; Clinical Sports Medicine, 5th Edition. Brukner & Khan
- Oakley EA. Ooi KS. Barnett PL. A randomized controlled trial of 2 methods of immobilizing torus fractures of the distal forearm. Ped Emerg Care. 24(2):65-70, 2008 Feb
- Barnett P: Alternatives to sedation for painful procedures. Ped Emerg Care. 25(6):415-9; 2009 Jun
- Oakley E. Barnett P. Babl FE: Backslab versus nonbackslab for immobilization of undisplaced supracondylar fractures: a randomized trial. Ped Emerg Care. 25(7):452-6, 2009 Jul
- Barnett, P. L., Lee, M. H., Oh, L., Cull, G. and Babl, F.: Functional outcome after air-stirrup ankle brace or fiberglass backslab for pediatric low-risk ankle fractures: a randomized observer-blinded controlled trial, Pediatric Emergency Care 2012;28(8), 745-9
- Browne GJ, Barnett PLJ - Common sports-related musculoskeletal injuries presenting to the emergency department. [Review], J Paed & Child Health, Feb 2016:52(2):231-6
- Barrett MJ, Barnett PL - Complex regional Pain type 1 (Review): Ped Emerg Care, Mar 2016: 32(3):185-9
- Clarke C; Anderson V; Babl FE; Rausa VC; Davis GA; Barnett P; Crichton A; Takagi M; Hearps SJC; Davies K; McKinlay A; Anderson N; Kwan V; Kanagalingam S; Ceregra G; Petris A; Darling S; Clifton P; Harcourt P; Take CARe and Curve Tomorrow teams: Child concussion recognition and recovery: a community delivered, evidenced-based solution. Annals of Translational Medicine. 8(9):595, 2020 May.
Chapters in books
- Bone and Joints – P Barnett, J Munro, L Donnan, R Allen: Paediatric Handbook, 9th Edition, Wiley-Blackwell, Aug 2015
- Longworth T, McDonald A, Cunningham C, Khan H, Fitzpatrick J. Do rugby league players under-report concussion symptoms? A cross-sectional study of elite teams based in Australia. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2021 Jan 19;7(1):e000860.
- Tso CKN, O’Sullivan R, Khan HI, Fitzpatrick J. Reliability of a Novel Scoring System for MRI Assessment of Severity in Gluteal Tendinopathy. The Melbourne Hip MRI Score. The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine 2021.
- McRae B, Fitzpatrick J, Khan H. Autologous Tenocyte Implantation for the Treatment of Chronic Degenerative Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy. International Journal of Case Reports 2020.
- Kan H, McBride A, McLean A, O’Callaghan W, Khan HI, Gallie P. Modular Versus Monoblock Hemiarthroplasty in Trauma: A 5-Year Retrospective Analysis of Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes. The Open Orthopaedics Journal 2019
- Khan HI, Aitken D, Chou L, McBride A, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Natural History and Clinical significance of Meniscal Tears over 8 years in a midlife cohort. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2016.
- McBride A*, Khan HI*, Aitken D, Chou L, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Does cartilage volume measurement or radiographic osteoarthritis at baseline independently predict ten-year cartilage volume loss? BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2016. *Co-first authors
- Orchard JW, Ranson C, Olivier B, Dhillon M, Gray J, Langley B, Mansingh A, Moore I S, Murphy I, Patricios J, Alwar T, Clark CJ, Harrop B. Khan HI, Kountouris A, Macphail M, Mount S, Mupotaringa A, Newman D, O'Reilly K, Peirce N, Saleem S, Shackel D, Shackel D, Calaza M, Finch CF. International consensus statement on injury surveillance in cricket: a 2016 update. Br J Sports Med 2016.
- Khan HI, Chou L, Aitken D, McBride A, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Correlation between changes in global knee structures assessed on MRI and radiographic osteoarthritis changes over 10 years in a mid-life cohort. Arthritis Care & Research 2015.
- Khan HI, Aitken D, Chou L, McBride A, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Reply Letter to the Editor: Knee joint replacement and individual susceptibility for progression of knee osteoarthritis and tibial cartilage volume loss: not only genes run in the family. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2015.
- Khan HI, Aitken D, Chou L, McBride A, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. A family history of knee joint replacement increases the progression of knee radiographic osteoarthritis and medial tibial cartilage volume loss over 10 years. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2015.
- Pan F, Ding C, Winzenberg T, Khan HI, Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Response to: 'Does it make sense to investigate whether the offspring of people with a total knee replacement for severe primary knee osteoarthritis have a higher risk of worsening knee pain?' by Lei et al. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2015.
- Pan F, Ding C, Winzenberg T, Khan HI, Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP, Cicuttini F, Jones G. The offspring of people with a total knee replacement for severe primary knee osteoarthritis have a higher risk of worsening knee pain over 8 years. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2015.
- Pan F, Khan HI, Ding C, Winzenberg T, Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Familial effects on structural changes relevant to knee osteoarthritis: a prospective cohort study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2015.
- Khan HI, Aitken D, Blizzard L, Ding C, Pelletier JP, Pelletier JM, Cicuttini F, Jones G. History of knee injury and MRI-assessed knee structures in middle- and older-aged adults: a cross-sectional study. Clinical Rheumatology 2014.
- Foong YC*, Khan HI*, Aitken D, Blizzard L, Ding CH, Cicuttini F, Jones G The clinical significance, natural history and predictors of bone marrow lesion change over eight years. Arthritis Research and Therapy 2014. *Co-first authors
- Khan HI, Dore D, Zhai G, Ding C, Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Cicuttini F, Jones G. Association between hip and knee cartilage measured using radiographs and magnetic resonance imaging: the Tasmanian Older Adult Cohort Study. Rheumatology Oxford 2013.
- Khan HI, Orchard J, Farhat P, Kountouris A, Ryan M, Gan T. Adductor tendinopathy and intramuscular botulinum. Sports Physio 2013.
- Khan A, Pal KM, Khan HI. Hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm; a rare complication of amoebic liver abscess. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2011.
- Khan AN, Khalid S, Khan HI, Jabeen M. Impact of today's media on university student's body image in Pakistan: a conservative, developing country's perspective. BMC Public Health 2011.