Finding a granola that ticks all the boxes can be difficult. Many of the ones packed on supermarket shelves are high in sugar or over toasted to the point where you have a dental disaster waiting to happen!
Creating your own means you can completely customise your mix of ingredients to your taste and your health needs.
*This recipe makes a large batch. Store in the pantry in an airtight jar or container and it will keep for months!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw nuts of choice (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts)
- 1/2 cup seeds (combination of chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- optional add in: 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit of choice (cranberries, sultanas, apricots)
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients (except for coconut and dried fruit) in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together then pour over and mix through with the dry ingredients.
- Evenly spread mixture onto a lined baking tray and place in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius - after 25 minutes give the mixture a rough turn over and add in coconut flakes. Roast for another 5-10 minutes keeping a close eye on it to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Once granola is golden in colour remove from oven, mix in dried fruit and let cool on the tray.
- Serve with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit!
If there are particular types of foods you would like to see more of or ingredients included in future recipes please let us know.