Healthy “Lower” Carb Pasta
DON’T CUT CARBS!
It’s not fun and it NEVER lasts. Rather than thinking about what you need to eliminate from your diet, think about what you can INCLUDE.
Increasing fruit and veg intake is associated with a number of positive health outcomes include weight loss, enhanced immunity, and improved mental state.
For a more sustainable and achievable approach, simply reduce your portion of pasta and up the portion of veg and protein. This way you won’t feel like you’re depriving your body of foods that you truly enjoy.
- 250g Barilla Orecchiette (or pasta of choice)
- 400g Turkey mince
- 2 medium zucchini’s, grated
- 1 large broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Half way through the cooking time add chopped broccoli to the boiling pasta.
- Once cooked, drain pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- In a large fry-pan cook the turkey mince in some olive oil at a medium to high heat.
- Add garlic and cook mince until almost completely browned.
- Add grated zucchini and stir through, cooking only for 1-2 min.
- Add the cooked pasta and broccoli into the pan and heat through.
- Coat the mixture with a good drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with chilli flakes and your preferred pasta cheese. Grana Padano is my fav!
Kristen Papathanasiou is an Accredited Practising Dietitian, Accredited Sports Dietitian and an Approved Eating Disorder Practitioner.